Root Canals: If you have completed or are still undergoing root canal treatment this section will help you.
What should I expect?
- Root canals are usually completed in either one or two separate treatments. After any root canal treatment it is normal to feel tenderness in the area over the next few days. Your tooth may continue to feel different for some time after the root canal treatment is complete. It often takes a few months for the root of the tooth to heal completely. However, if you feel severe pain or pressure that lasts more than a few days, please contact our office.
- Use caution while eating or drinking anything hot after the procedure while you are still numb. This will prevent you biting or burning your tongue or cheek on accident.
- Brush and floss as normal following root canal therepy.
- It is not uncommon to have a temporary filling after a root canal. It is important to follow up and have a permanent filling placed soon after the root canal as the temporary fillings will break down and disintegrate.
- Avoid chewing on the root canal treated tooth until a permanent restoration has been placed on the tooth. This will avoid fracturing the tooth.
- Root canal treatments are often performed to alleviate severe pain; however, it is normal to feel tenderness around the affected area over the next few days following root canal treatment. These symptoms usually respond very well to over the counter medications such as ibuprofen and Tylenol.
- If narcotic medications are prescribed, follow the recommended guidelines. You may feel drowsy and caution should be exercised when operating a car or machinery.
Please contact our office immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms after your root canal:
- Any allergic reactions to medications
- Return of any of the original symptoms
- Any visible swellings or blisters arise, either inside or outside your mouth
- A “high” bite
- Saving your natural teeth, when possible, is usually the best option. While root canal success rates are not 100%, when appropriate endodontic treatment is performed and followed by a proper restoration, the success rates are very high.
- It is very important that you return for a proper final restoration following root canal treatment to ensure the highest chances of success.
If you have any additional questions or concerns about your root canal treatment in Draper, Utah, please call Chase Judd, DDS at (801) 438-7445. Our dentist can help you get the care you need to recover quickly and comfortably.